Friday, October 9, 2009

The Battle of Elderbush Gulch. 1913. Directed by D. W. Griffith.

(2/14/00)

Mae Marsh steals the show. The action scenes are what this film is most famous for, but I personally just can't get involved in them. I have a real problem with action sequences which frequently bore me. So I confess that I was unable to appreciate that aspect. But Mae Marsh was adorable and wiped Lillian Gish right off the screen.

Mae is a young girl sent to live with her uncle who will not allow her two dogs in his cabin. She is resourceful enough to cut a little door in the cabin so that she can bring them in to sleep with her and her still younger sister. She is spunky enough to grab the dogs away from Indians who are planning on eating them. Unfortunately, this incident inflames already-existing hostilities when one of Marsh's elders shoots (I think--I'm not sure) one of the Indians.

During the Indian attack Mae takes charge of saving Lillian Gish's baby and securing herself, the younger sister, the baby and the two puppies in a window seat. After the attack is over and the adults are frantic for the welfare of the kids, the window seat pops up--and there they are! It is a glorious moment and for me it is far more memorable than the battle scenes.

The two puppies are quite adorable as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment