Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Page of Madness (Kurutta Ippeiji). 1926. Directed by Teinosuke Kinugasa.

(2/26/00-2/28/00)

This was a very difficult film to concentrate on. I can admire the sheer exuberance of the editing and the camerawork, but that still didn't involve me in it. However, I was better able to follow it than I was 20 years ago.

Masao Inoue actually began to bother me as the odd-job man. He just seems to be morose, but there were scenes when his mood changed and he seemed more interesting.

The film was interesting to watch at the time, but very little of it stayed with me. It had an added soundtrack which I liked at the beginning, but less so as the film progressed. The music at the scene of a parade was too much and such sound effects as that of a dog barking really began to grate on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment