Saturday, July 31, 2010

Dog Star Man. 1961-64. Directed by Stan Brakhage.

(10/30/00)

Dog Star Man didn't make much of an impression on me at all this time around. I was unable to connect with it. Part of that might have been because the color was very faded. I will say that the beginning and end titles of each part seem excessive when watching the whole thing. Each separate part announces that it is by Brakhage, that it is part of Dog Star Man and each part has a seaparate "end" title.

Part III is supposedly about woman, man's other half. I didn't feel that there was much presence of woman in it at all. Part IV did convey to me very strongly the sheer exhilaration of taking action, of doing something, which is so essential to human life. Other than that, the film just went right by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment