Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Abyss (Afgrunden). 1910. Directed by Urban Gad.

(1/17/00)

This film was shown with untranslated Danish intertitles, so it was not possible to follow the story. I was just able to enjoy watching Asta Nielsen's performance.

The best scene takes place in a theater where Nielsen and a partner do a dance routine. At first I thought they were rehearsing, but later it became obvious that this is actually a performance. Nielsen lassos her partner during the dance--it's a really interesting scene.

There is a confrontation at the end when Nielsen stabs a man she is involved with (?) who is about to go after her former boyfriend after seeing him give her money. I had a momentary lapse of concentration and wasn't able to tell if she intended to stab him or if it was an accident. I wish I could see this film with English translation.

No comments:

Post a Comment