Sunday, September 20, 2009

Dog Star Man. 1965. Directed by Stan Brakhage.

(12/24/99)

This showing of Dog Star Man did not include Part IV.

Seeing Dog Star Man for the third time the imagery is starting to become more familiar to me. And that makes it more pleasurable--I can feel the visual music better as I am getting to know it better.

The woodman in Part I seems to be Brakhage himself. In that case, who is running the camera? I tend to think of Brakhage's fils as "first-person cinema," meaning that he is showing us what he sees and is thus behind the camera.

I am beginning to appreciate the humor in Part I of the dog jumping around and wagging its tail as the woodman falls.

Part III is supposed to be about woman--or Jane. There was very little to suggestthat. It seemed to be a very abstract part of the film and the presence of "woman" was much less eveident than was the presence of "baby" in Part II.

No comments:

Post a Comment