Friday, September 18, 2009

I Was Born, But... (Umarete wa Mita Karedo). 1932. Directed by Yosujiro Ozu.

(12/24/99)

I certainly find this one of the most intriguing titles in film history. Otherwise, I have to confess that I really don't "get" Ozu. Perhaps that's because my own mind is so noisy that it is really hard for me to appreciate something so quiet.

Not very much happens in this film. A family moves into a new neighborhood. The kids have trouble getting along with the kids in the neighborhood. They go to the boss's house for an evening of home movies. The kids see their father behaving foolishly in the movies and are embarrassed. They question him about why he is so deferential to the father of one of the other boys who happens to be a director in the father's company. They call their father a failure and refuse to eat. They finally come to an acceptance of the situation.

The film shows a close observation of human life. I found it interesting and amusing at first, then tedious as it went on and on with the adventures of the kids, but it rallied and the last section had real power. It was a true story about human life in which all the characters are basically nice people and the problems that they face are the ordinary ones that we all more or less face. I certainly liked it a hell of a lot better than My Neighbors the Yamadas--another Japanese film about acceptance of one's place in the world.

The father does admit (to the mother, I think) that he does kiss ass to his superiors and their lives are better because of that. And it is sad that this is so often required in this life.

Being made in 1932, this film has a surprisingly "modern" look for a silent film.

No comments:

Post a Comment