Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Unknown Woman. 1923. Directed by Benjamin Christensen.

(9/23/99)

I didn't enjoy this film at all. It is basically two different pictures that just don't go together. The first part is interesting. A blind artist is obsessed with a woman he offered shelter to five years before. His mother goes out and finds her. I for one want to know more details about why she was fleeing from someone that night.

Then the film turns into this really stupid story about this artist, with his sight restored, and his wife. She is offended that he didn't recognize her when he returned with his sight and hides from him and later poses as a model. There was just nothing interesting about watching these two people play stupid games. I thought he knew who she was all the time--but I was wrong.

There may have been interesting stuff to look for here, but I disliked it so much in general that I couldn't care less about the lighting, the editing, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment