Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Mysterious X. 1913. Directed by Benjamin Christensen.

(9/19/99)

I found this film to be surprisingly absorbing. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me. I liked the figures silhouetted on the hill against the windmill. Those shots look forward to the dance of death in Bergman's The Seventh Seal. The film really brought home the idea of war as a childish, foolish game. I also liked its comment on the idea of honor: the hero would rather be branded a traitor and shot than to bring dishonor on his wife by letting it be known that the Count had visited her and left his coat. What a sap!

The last-minute rescue of someone condemned to death is a big cliche, but that's the tradition this film is in, so it's not worth criticizing.

There are some very nice chiaroscuro shots in the prison when the son sneaks in to see his father.

No comments:

Post a Comment