Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Woman Scorned. 1911. et al.

(11/14/99)

A Woman Scorned. 1911. Bobby the Coward. 1911. A Country Cupid. 1911. A Knight of the Road. 1911. All directed by D. W. Griffith.


I really liked A Woman Scorned. It had very effective cross-cutting and at the same time credible human emotions. Afterwards, my interest began to wane, maybe because the films were hurting my eyes. I really liked Florence La Badie (?), the female lead in Bobby the Coward. She had real charisma. By contrast, I wasn't so taken by Blanche Sweet in A Country Cupid and found it hard to relate to all the males who were so taken with her. I had trouble following it and keeping everybody straight, though I did like the little boy who acts out of true love and looks after the schoolmarm's romantic interests, even though she obviously doesn't feel much for him. I wasn't very interested in A Knight of the Road, except at the end when the hobo is offered a respectable life, but doesn't want it and runs away. That was cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment