Saturday, September 12, 2009

Narcissus. 1949. Directed by Willard Maas.

(10/6/99)

Parker Tyler made a remark that is often quoted that this film is in the art-film tradition of Jean Cocteau. It was made about the same time as Orpheus and, like Orpheus, is an updating of an ancient Greek myth. Orpheus is definitely more vivid. We hear the characters speak and the film unfolds as a solid narrative. It therefore has a better chance to "take hold" of the viewer. Narcissus is more dreamlike and harder to connect with. And it is much more difficult to relate to or feel for the characters.

It is not a simple retelling of the story of Echo and Narcissus--it plays with that story, throwing in some new ideas and is consequently more confusing. Mirrors are substituted for water, although looking at a reflection in the water is also present. There are three long fantasy sequences, there is another male interested in Echo and she appesars alive and solid at the end. What does it all mean?

There is a spoken narration which seems somehat arch. I couldn't hear a lot of it. The film takes place amongst junk and debris. It does seem to conjure up its own self-contained world which fifty years later seems strange and mysterious. But what is the point of all the junk and debris?
A few moments stood out. When Echo and Narcissus kiss and he becomes afraid and turns away from her she becomes angry. That made an impression on me. Because I was more concerned with his fear than with her reaction. So it took me by surprise. And then when he was beat up after rejecting her again--that was a strong moment.

I liked the scenes of playing at the beach. I didn't undertsnd what that scene was all about, but there is something about people in bathing suits at the beach that appeals to me. I thought that it would be interesting to intercut this footage with footage from Beach Party.

On the other hand, the scenes of Narcissus with the stone statues seemed pretty silly to me and I couldn't get the point of that sequence, either.

I did not understand this film and it didn't have a big impact on me. I found it dated, but I enjoyed seeing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment