Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Adventures of Prince Achmed. 1926. Directed by Lotte Reininger (program notes) or Karl Koch (credited on film).

(1/2/00)

This is a silhouette animation film and was very beautiful. I was tired and found it very hard to follow. Animated films tend to be extremely concentrated and demand close attention. It is an "Arabian Nights" type of adventure, with caliph and princess, flying horse and magic lamp. I think that if I had the opportunity to see it several times I would enjoy it more.

I think that presenting the characters a s silhouettes tends to turn them into archetypes rather than real people. Some of the scenes that I was most impressed by were when Achmed discovers Pricess Peri-Barre at her bath, when Aladdin lights the lamp and the genie first appears, and the final summoning of a legion of spirits.

If I understood correctly, the Egyptian sorcerer offered the caliph the flying horse. The caliph responded by offering him any treasure he should desire. What he asked for was the caliph's daughter which was refused him while the steed ws taken from him. So the sorcerer was cheated. That's how it appeared to me and I consequently had less sympathy for his opponents than I would otherwise. Certainly, the caliph should not have made such a stupid promise, but as long as he did...

No comments:

Post a Comment