Monday, September 14, 2009

A Tale of Two Cities. 1911. Directed by Rollin S. Sturgeon (?)

(10/24/99)

A very impressive production for 1911. The only thing that really grated on me was the theatrical backdrops for some of the scenes. That was a shame because the film had some very nice exteriors in the first part, especially when the girl is abducted.

My eyes were really hurting (I need new glasses), so I did not see it to good advantage. I found it hard to follow. My reaction today was that it was a little bit too confused and there was too much going on in too short a time.

It's no Orphans of the Storm, certainly, but it is a film full of noble action, of individuals caught up in cataclysmic events. There are memorable scenes, such as when Dr. Mantle finally realizes that it is his daughter, when he accecpts the aristocratic Renay as Lucy's future husband and when he is confronted with his own words damning the descendants of the Marquis who imprisoned him, Renay being his nephew. And of course the ending when Sydney Carton goes to the guillotine to insure the happiness of the woman he loves. Maurice Costello is quite fine, but I don't think we were given a chance to really know him or the other characters well. This film might be best appreciated by those familiar with the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment